Freelance Bookkeeping in Ottawa:
By definition, a person who provides freelance bookkeeping services sells their services by the hour, the day, or the job rather than working on a regular basis for one employer. Nearly every company needs bookkeeping and payroll services. Accurate bookkeeping and payroll services are important to the successful operation of a company. Some companies cannot afford to hire staff permanently, so they employ the services of freelance bookkeepers. Other small companies do not need permanent staff because of their small financial requirements. As a freelance bookkeeper and payroll service provider, you set your own prices, take on as many clients as you desire and establish the services you wish to provide.
Steps to take to become a Freelance Bookkeeper:
- Choose the services you desire to offer clients. Select bookkeeping services to offer clients, such as accounts receivable, accounts payable, bank reconciliation, payroll and financial report preparation.
- Purchase bookkeeping and payroll software. Choose software you can customize to your clients’ needs, that’s easy to use and inexpensive. QuickBooks (from Intuit- http://quickbooks.intuit.ca/) is a low-cost bookkeeping and accounting software package that is widely used by small businesses in the North America. Verify that your computer meets the specifications of the software installation requirements. Obtain training in several accounting software programs to meet the needs of your clients.
- Set your freelance rates. Call local bookkeeping and payroll companies to ask their prices, which will give you an idea of what to charge your clients. Decide whether to set an hourly rate or a flat monthly fee. Consider charging extra fees for mileage if you must travel to your clients’ offices. Bookkeeping and payroll rates vary by region and professional experience. A bookkeeper with many years of experience typically charges more than a bookkeeper with little experience.
- Join business organizations in your area and your local chamber of commerce. Introduce yourself to business owners and give a brief explanation of your business and the services you provide. Schedule an introductory meeting with individuals interested in your business. Explain your services in more detail, your bookkeeping and payroll processes and your fees. Sign a contract with clients interested in retaining your services.
- Send your resume to employers looking for part-time bookkeepers. Follow up with a phone call if possible. Inform employers of the benefits of hiring a freelance bookkeeping and payroll service provider as opposed to an employee.
Benefits of Freelancing:
Some would say that the downside of being a freelancer is that you have to provide your own health insurance or work odd hours. My answer to this is if you excel in providing excellent service to your clients, you will come highly recommended and be able to charge higher fees. You may work odd hours from time to time, but if it can allow you more freedom for your personal time when others are stuck working nine to five in an office.
All in all, the benefits of having your own successful business outweigh the downsides. If you are determined and willing to learn you can achieve success as a small business bookkeeping service. Believe in yourself and be willing to take a chance and see where it will take you.
The ENVOLTA Team